Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 18-836    Version: 1
Type: Report Status: Passed
File created: 9/21/2018 In control: City Council
On agenda: 10/16/2018 Final action: 10/16/2018
Title: Approve recommended adjustment to pay ranges.
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM

ACTION REQUESTED:
title
Approve recommended adjustment to pay ranges.
body

DEPARTMENT: Human Resources

SUBMITTED BY: Jim Sheehan, Director of Human Resources

BOARD/COMMISSION REVIEW:
None

BACKGROUND:
The City maintains position classifications and pay ranges for non-union employees. The pay ranges are established based on the ranges for other position classes, requisite qualifications and general rates of pay for comparable work in other public and private employment in the area. The City's structure for pay ranges includes a minimum, midpoint and maximum salary. An adjustment to the pay range would move each of those categories by the designated amount of the increase and provide greater flexibility within the pay ranges.

Pursuant to Section 1-7-7 of the Naperville Municipal Code, the City Council is authorized to adjust pay ranges.

DISCUSSION:
The issue of employee actual pay is separate from pay range movement. Range movement is a function of market conditions while employee pay is a function of individual performance. Pay ranges exist to allow differentiation in employee pay based on performance and experience.

Staff compensation and the salary review process includes participation in annual salary surveys from a number of sources including: local communities, World at Work, and Salary.com/CompAnalyst. We use each of the surveys throughout the year, but rely heavily on CompAnalyst to obtain timely competitive salary and salary range data to supplement our analysis and remain market competitive. Based on a review of the surveys, pay ranges were on average adjusted 3% in 2018 and are expected to be adjusted an additional 3% in 2019 (for a two-year total of 6%).

The City's non-union pay ranges were adjusted by 2.5% in 2017, but there were no adjustments in 2018. Naperville's non-union pay ranges lag behind our fellow union employees and comparable community ranges. Staff recommends the City Council move the pay ranges by 4%. T...

Click here for full text